Sunday, April 8, 2012

Time-out

Life is full of attention grabbing devices.  We are a society immersed in television, computers, laptops, tablets, iPads, iPhone, blackberry's, computer games consoles, you-tube, blogs(!) and so much more.


 I don't believe these things are bad in themselves and there are many positives to having technology advanced so much. Medical achievements for one have benefited from greater miniaturised technology.  Connecting with family and friends no matter wherever they are is a huge blessing when we feel fragmented by distance.  But as I reflect over my daily life, I realise how I have simply allowed my life to absorb this technology without question.  I allow so much of my time to be consumed with checking emails, Facebook, reading copious amount on the internet, checking the phone, catching TV programs.  I have filled up my time with techno-busyness.  And I feel tired and lacking a spiritual depth with the Lord.  I don't blame technology, I am simply acknowledging my submissiveness to it.

Earlier this year I felt a growing urge to withdraw and just be with God.   A need to re-learn how to be still physically and mentally.  To re-learn how to talk to God for more than a few minutes and then rush off to the next thing.  I wanted to re-learn how to sit,  listen and wait upon God.

Why? Because,
 "To pray is to change.  Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us.  If we are unwilling to change, we will abandon prayer as a noticeable characteristic of our lives.  The closer we come to the heartbeat of God the more we see our need and the more we desire to be conformed  to be conformed to Christ." (Celebration of Discipline, page 42, Richard Foster). 
I quick smartly realised that it wasn't going to be easily to unlearn some bad habits, that it meant making changes to my daily routine, a realisation of underlying attitudes towards the way I prioritise my time. In reality, it is a discipline to really pray and to listen to God.  And just like any discipline, it takes time, practice, patience and perseverance.

It is taking awhile, but I am again learning to quiet my thoughts after so many years of jumping from one virtual place to another, glimpsing and grabbing information.  Dwelling on a psalm or another piece of scripture helps as it directs my thoughts to God.  My mind is focused on something specific and I am training myself to slow down my thinking when I am sitting with the Lord.  Journalling is also a process I use to slow my thinking down which can allow me to hear God's quiet voice.

There are many ways to pray that help us draw near to God, this is simply one way that I do it.  In many ways, I need to simplify my praying so that openness and honesty prevail in my communication with God and just as a child approaches her father in complete confidence and trust, so we are to come to our heavenly father.

How do you be still and listen to God?  Do you have a special place you like to go?

Photos:
ChristianPhotos.Net - Free High Resolution Photos for Christian Publications
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2039
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=809


No comments:

Post a Comment