Monday, February 28, 2011

The Crying Poor

"The homeless - this is a problem but unfortunately we do not have the right to shoot them ." - Anatoly Mikhalev, Mayor of Chita, a major city in Siberia (reported in The Courier Mail, February 27, 2011, page 42).

I think we would all agree that this comment is an outright abuse of human rights but it also highlights a common negative view towards the destitute and displaced.  We might shout "I would never say that!"  but perhaps we are more subtle in our aloofness towards the needy.

I remember vividly the moment I first watched the news breaking of the terror attacks on the twin towers on September 11, 2001.  I was at work and in the tea room the television had been switched on.  A crowd of us were watching the commercial airliners crashing into the towers.  I was in shock and disbelief.  It felt like a dream.  Over and over for the coming days I would watch the same footage, to the point I felt emotionally numb and would turn off the television.  Even with the recent flooding that happened, I found I would turn off the television rather than watch the footage because I found it too emotionally disturbing.  Some would say to me "That's ok, don't go and upset yourself".  But is that the right response for a Christian?  In reality am I really saying, "I'm sorry but it makes me too uncomfortable to see you suffering so I will turn my back on you therefore you are no longer my problem - out of sight, out of mind".   The heart of the matter for me is selfishness.  Because I don't want to be upset, I will stop engaging on that issue in order to protect myself.  Is that wrong?  To break it down even  further, it's simply a matter of love.  Am I willing to go beyond my comfort zones to love another as they suffer and to act in such a way as to help relieve that suffering where possible?


In Romans chapter 12 we are urged by the Apostle Paul, "in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:1-2a). Our whole existence needs to be  involved in serving and loving God.  We are to sacrifice comfortableness and to no longer follow the world's attitudes of complacency towards issues such as poverty and homelessness.  But what does that look like?  A little further on in chapter 12 we read,

"Love must be sincere.  Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.  Honor one another above yourselves.  Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Be joyful in hope, patient  in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Share with God's people who are in need.  Practice hospitality.  Bless those who persecute you; bless and not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  Live in harmony with one another.  Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of love position.  do not be conceited.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil. "  (Romans 9-17a).

This is a picture of how we are to love others.  It is a Christian's privilege and responsibility to identify with others in their joys and sorrows.  As I about to embark on the Lent Event 2011 called "Sacred Friendships" my prayer is that I would be willing to sit with that uncomfortableness and ask God to give me his heart for the displaced and dispossessed.

What is your prayer for the Lent Even this year?  Will it be just another bible study or are you genuinely wanting to let God put on your heart a call to help the needy in Toowoomba, Australia or overseas?  Put yourself at the foot of the cross and see what the Lord has to say to you over the next 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment