Friday, January 28, 2011

Foolishness

Have you ever felt like a fool?  Have you said something that showed your ignorance, your immaturity or inexperience?  Then have been left feeling like an idiot and inept?  I have!  That was me today.  At bible study people shared about their response to the recent Queensland floods and I was overwhelmed with emotion.  To see friends upset and hurting was upsetting to me.  Then it was time to pray and cried and couldn't speak properly.  Afterwards I felt embarrassed for my 'show of emotion'.  Thinking,  I didn't make any sense, I'm supposed to lead everyone in prayer and I sound like an idiot!  What good am I! I felt like such a fool.  But what was the real reason for my embarrassment?  Honestly, I was worried about how I looked and what others might think of me.  The reality was I was more concerned about my pride rather than coming to God with a humble heart.

How easy it is to have pride sneak into my heart so subtly and how I must be constantly vigilant to pray for humility and to confess my pride as sin.  I can be so blind to the pride in my heart that it will often go unchecked and unmonitored.  Humility is the antidote to pride.   I find hope in Isaiah 66:2 :  "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.".  God is pleased with a person who is humble and respects and obeys his word.  David also prayed and understood what God truly desires "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (Psalm 51:17).

Do you have pride in your heart that needs confessing?  I urge you to pray for God to reveal to you the tendencies for pride in the areas of your life and for the humility to confess them as sin.  Then remember God's great promise of forgiveness through Jesus,"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. "(1 John 1:9).

Praise God for the gift of grace!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment